Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cue the 'tude....

Let me just start off by saying that I love my children very, very much. They are some of the biggest blessings I could ever receive on this earth. I often tell Cooper, "You are my favorite Cooper in the whole wide world!" (After all he can't be my favorite son anymore now that we have 3;))

But let me also say that discipline has always been a challenge. Coop is our only child we've really had to discipline so far, other than an occasional "no, no" to Sawyer since he's only 11 months. We've been through the getting into things he's not supposed to, the tantrum stage, the multiple strong willed seasons, the hitting, the biting, the not sharing of toys, the throwing of food, the getting out of bed and coming out of his room 5 thousand times, and many other seasons. But he is now 5, headed off to Kindergarten, and.....wait for it.....

Cue the 'tude!


Oh my word, we have entered a whole new season of sassy attitude. We are really on top of it and talking a lot about honoring and respecting Mommy and Daddy, his heart attitude, and why God wants our heart to be joyful and kind, not grumpy and mean. Does anyone else have this issue? I know Cooper is trying to exhibit some of his own power and will, figuring out who he is and what he thinks about the world, but man it's so hard not to feel frustrated and angry at times.

His current saying, just to give you a funny example (one that I laugh at and he doesn't get in trouble for....or maybe he should, I don't know;).....When I ask him to do something, like "Hey buddy, can you bring me brother's bottle," or "Hey dude, please go get your shoes so we can go," I get the response of .......

"You got it BOSS!"

He's not being mean or disrespectful in those situations, he's just got this little attitude. Oh me, oh my. What's a mom to do?

Do any of you have wonderful teenagers that love the Lord and show respect and honor to not only you, but other adults? I'd love some Mommy advice on what you did to move through this little season besides pray ALL THE TIME and teach him God's Word:)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I hope you get some good advice. My oldest is 3 and we talk about "ugly voice" and lots of other ways that do not show respect. And get this, this weekend he announced..."I want a NEW Mommy and Daddy!" Lord, help me!

    ReplyDelete